Thursday, June 14, 2007

It is all about Attitude

I've been wondering for a bit now if student services really is the place for me. There are several reasons why I've been questioning this decision. For example, discovering Sesame Workshop has reminded me why I got in to PR in the first place, and I'm pretty intent on dedicating part of my life working for that cause. Another reason is simply that I have yet to meet someone in student services and thought, "I want the job that they have."

The most worrisome thing is that so many of the people I've encountered are extremely negative. They are chipper happy people who have great experiences with students and truly believe in the value of student services. However, in the short periods of time that I've spent with the majority of people on campus and at the conference they complain about faculty, parents, other departments, and even students. I've started to worry that everybody hates their jobs, and it's been helping me create a list of things I don't want to do for the rest of my life.

Yesterday, things were different, and it left me feeling hopeful. I'm doing an internship with the Academic Advising Center here at UCA. Yesterday was my second day so I haven't learned much yet, but the atmosphere was just better than everything I've experienced. Currently we are working on summer registration for the incoming freshmen. The office is working with between 60 and 90 students a day. I expected things to be hectic, but what I have seen is really organized and I haven't been overwhelmed yet.

Even more exciting is the attitude of the advisors. At some point throughout the day each of them came out of their office and commented on how much they love their jobs to no one in particular. That is what I want. I want my everyday experiences at work to be uplifting and energizing. It has been a while since I've been excited maybe even optimistic about student services.

2 comments:

donnadb said...

I feel you, friend. Higher education is such a huge bureaucracy, and in any bureaucracy, the favorite pastime is to complain. Complain, complain, complain. It really gets on my nerves when I socialize with fellow faculty and they do nothing but run down their colleagues, departments, students, and university. I mean, they can't wait to have a party for the express purpose of venting their spleen.

And it gets on my nerves when even the people I work closely with are so quick to complain about students today (how they're getting worse and worse), not to mention the administration and even people in the department itself. And this is surely one of the most positive places on campus.

You're right to be concerned about it. The question isn't whether you want these jobs -- it's whether you want to work with these people. Because I guarantee you that if you are enthusiastic about what you do, you will be in the minority most of the time.

s.elva said...

You would be an excellent academic adviser, but you're wise to consider the negative aspects as well. I've always viewed you as an optimist. Even though you get down or discouraged, you don't get depressed or repress those anxieties. As Donna B. pointed out, bureaucrats love to complain. I think you- with all of your talents and gifts- would be more than a bureaucrat; you would be an actual adviser, which many students desperately need.

Sarah