Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gotta Love 'Em

I just love hearing about people who care about the same things that I do and are doing an amazing job at what they do. I would like to share with you 826. It is a national organization that I heard about on NPR. The story talks about the The Brooklyn Superhero Supply Company in Park Slope that not only offers your everyday crime fighting needs, but also hides the (not-so) secret entrance to 826NYC. Students who make it though the store and through the secret passage are in for a creative writing party. I recommend listening to the NPR story if you can because you'll get to hear the in the middle of developing their stories.

If inspiring creativity wasn't cool enough, I am stalking their events page because I want to be a part of some of their fund raisers. Now that I'm in the neighborhood, I don't plan on missing another game of Scrabble for Cheaters. 826 is in several large cities so keep your eyes open for Greenwood Space Travel Supply Co. in Seattle or The Boring Store (for all you spy needs) while you're in Chicago.

1 comment:

Tim Sisk said...

Yeah, there are quite a few of these places around the country in major cities. Author Dave Eggers was in on creating them. He came to speak at UCA my senior year and he talked about his work with the Superhero Supply shops and tutoring centers. I think he has one in Seattle that's a Pirate Supply Shop that doubles as a tutoring center. It's really an amazing idea. All the tutors work on a volunteer basis.

Oh! And you should read Dave Eggers' "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." It's just as the name implies.