Friday, September 01, 2006

The Death of Denotation?

Last week one of my professors off-handedly mentioned that he had been told denotation may no longer exist. Despite his casual attitude, the comment has stuck with me. For those of you who need a refresher, denotation is the literal twin of connotation. Denotation is the written, documented, and defined meanings assigned to words where as connotation is the implied or alternate meanings that are wrapped up not only in the word but also the body language, the situation, the context, and the tone.

What are the implications of doing away with denotation? Well, it might have a bigger impact than Pluto's demotion. I think I should be happy. With out denotation, it should be much easier to embrace language as the living vibrant creature that it is. When we take a moment to think about it, we all know that language isn't static, but so often we forget to remember that definitions change and dictionaries are out of date. If grammar students are no longer taught that Merriam and Webster are the authorities of their language and rather that each individual is responsible for making meaning, shouldn't we become better communicators? If I can no longer assume that my listener is using my definitions, won't I work harder and be more careful to be sure that my ideas are articulated?

I'm not predicting some cosmic fiasco where definitions will be banished and our language will become garble. Our language is too vital and ingrained to undergo an upheaval like that. Rather our understanding will evolve into what Korzybski called for. In the back of our minds will be the constant reminder that language is never stagnant and we'll start turning to the Oxford English Dictionary instead of Roget's. We'll become accustomed to putting statements into context and searching deeper for the 'right' meaning.

So if I truly believe all of that, why do I feel apprehensive about letting denotation die? Well it's not just the experiences that I've had walking around a foreign country with a translation dictionary. I believe that sometimes words shouldn't be allowed to change. No matter how society tries to belittle the word 'theory,' scientists should stand their ground and refuse to let them have their way with it. Laws should be rewritten as the society changes not retranslated. Even for everyday language purposes there needs to be an neutral ground where sender and receiver can go to find a way to understand one another.

1 comment:

anne.milligan said...

While I don't have anything to say in regards to this post in particular, I thought I would tell you that I've enjoyed reading your blog so far. Your writing style is very engaging, but I suppose I should have conjectured as much from your thesis presentation last May....



... now to go bike around campus post-midnight!...