Monday, September 10, 2007

I have to start somewhere

My first assignment in Budgeting is to develop the budget for the financial aid office of the fictional Smith University. I thought it was not too daunting of an assignment. I've made budgets before and I think I generally understand the goals and purposes of budgets. Then I was told that I was not allowed to do any research. When I say I've made budgets, I am of course talking about personal budgets for myself. The only bills I had were my car payment and my cell phone. It wasn't so much a budget as it was determining how much I could spend at Barnes and Noble every month. I have no idea what expenditures a university office has, or how much those things cost. There were two results from my assignment. First, it showed my professor how much I knew. In the process, it showed me how much I didn't know.

Here it is, my first budget:
Smith University
Financial Aid Office
2008 Budget







Amount
Salaries 70% $507,500

Classified


NonClassified


Student Help





Staff Development 8% $58,000

Training


Travel





Equipment 8% $58,000

Maintenance



Software


Upgrades





Supplies 6% $43,500




Telephone 1% $7,250

Long Distance Charges


Cellular Phones





Promotion 7% $50,750

Printing


Mailing





Total

$725,000


I failed to budget for any fringe benefits for my employees. I suppose I'll have a high turnover rate when they all realize that they don't have any health insurance. I made some other mistakes too, but that is really the one I feel the worst about. Fortunately, I will turn in a revised budget after I do some research, and meet with my campus' financial aid director.

No comments: