Saturday, February 02, 2008

6-3-07 Malaga

I know that Spain was not part of the trip that I have to report back on, but I do want to say something about it. Spain is the first place that I truly felt uncomfortable and out of place. First, it was not visitor/stranger friendly. There were no signs anywhere. Not in the stations. Not in the streets. Not even in the lobbies of tourist heavy buildings. I'm not talking about the beautiful multilingual with diagram signs that I had gotten use to everywhere else. I'm talking about signs in general. There were none anywhere; not even in Spanish. In addition to that, it was the first place that I looked different. I've written about my excitement when I may have blended in, I think it would be much harder here. The people we encountered before we got to the resort were shorter with dark hair, dark eyes, and darker skin. This white skinned red-head was clearly out of place.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

A lot of Spain was like that. Street signs were intermittent--we looked like idiots with our map out craning to find the street names that were sometimes on the sides of buildings, sometimes not. When there were signs to places, they were usually misleading/confusing. My guide book luckily told us where to find good, free maps for all the places we went, luckily.